My wife has been asking me to bake her a French cake known as Pave Aux Amandes … for some time now. This year, Mother’s Day and her birthday happened within the same week, and I could not resist the temptation to kill two birds with one stone.
I had no idea what this cake is about and how easy it is to make. As it turns out, it is both delicious and simple – a combination that is hard to come by. I had low expectations for my baking qualities (aside from cookies, this was my first proper baking experience) but the cake turned out alright.
The finishing touch and – voila – the cake is ready to be enjoyed! Here is the recipe – again, it’s not super complicated and it doesn’t even need any tips.
- 125 gram butter
- 200 grams sugar
- 5 whole eggs
- 250 grams blanched almond flour
- Sliced almonds
- Butter a square or round baking pan, both bottom and sides; layer sliced almonds where buttered
- Cream 125 gram softened butter with 200 grams sugar until blended
- Blend in 5 whole eggs followed by 250 grams blanched almond flour
- Bake at 325ºF for about 45 minutes
- Cool the cake down a bit and turn it out onto a cooling rack
- Dust the top with powdered sugar
Here’s me, introducing the cake to my audience!
Needless to say, the wife was awed, smitten, blown away. Coupled with flowers, lobster dinner and my (temporarily) good manners, the cake made the holidays a success. Consider making it for your loved ones for a special occasion.